Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Think Therefore I Am

As I mentioned in a previous post, the concept of the individual has been with us for only a relatively short period of historical time.  Obviously, as distinct biological organisms, we have been around for tens of thousands of years.  But the notion that each one of us has an identity separate from all others like us, and that that identity has a right to certain pursuits and certain standards of recognition (to paraphrase the language of John Locke and our own Declaration of Independence) is pretty darn new.

The historical period and events that mark the development of the concept of the individual and individual rights is commonly known as the Age of Reason.  Generally, that period spans the late 17th century through much of the 18th century.  And as is so often the case in American literature and American culture,  we borrowed the principles of the Age of Reason from Europe and adapted them to our own purposes.  (For example, as we'll see later, Jefferson and the other composers of the Declaration of Independence borrowed liberally from John Locke, but made a very significant change.) 




Now, even summarizing the Age of Reason would take a while, so I'll cover other aspects in a subsequent post.  For this post, I'm going to focus of the primary instigator in the Age of Reason: science.  In a nutshell, what science was able to do that created the paradigm shift known as the Age of Reason was to make the world knowable.  This, naturally, was not an instantaneous moment, but a process extending over centuries.  The work of scientists like Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo chiseled away at the mystery of how things happened.  This process culminated in probably the most significant scientific figure of the Age of Reason, Isaac Newton.  For our purposes, there's no need to go into the specifics of their theories and discoveries.  What we need to recognize simply is that the cumulative work of these scientists took processes and events traditionally viewed as the mysterious workings of God and demystified them, measured them and codified them.  So now one could predict certain physical behaviors, rather than passively sit back and say "what will happen is God's will."  Something as simple as the law of gravity changes the dynamics of how we move through the world.  Things fall not because God casts them down, but because there are physical laws independent of any divine being that make things fall.  (And as you can tell from the following illustration, not everyone was keen on this.)




Well, so what?  So everything.  If something is knowable and predictable, then something is controllable.  By us.  We are no longer at the mercy of a mysterious force that seems to have a will of its own.  So when things happen, or something needs to be done, we don't have to implore for the intercession of that mysterious force.  Because we now know the rules, the laws, the behaviors, we can fix things ourselves, we can do things ourselves.  We come to realize that we have control over our own lives.

To get some discussion started, what I would like you to think about are the connotations of the crucial word here: Reason.  How do you define and understand reason?  What does it mean to you to say that something is Rational (and, conversely, Irrational)?

11 comments:

  1. Reason provides the answer to a question. It's scientific -- it's able to be proven or disproven. It's not mystical, it's definable. Rational I would say means reasonable -- cause and effect is able to be worked out. Irrational is too extreme to be reasonable -- it may be provable but it's outside the boundaries of predictability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reason, as a Noun: 1. The state of having good sense and sounds judgment.
    2. A rationale motive for a belief and action.

    Reason, as a Verb: To Think logically.

    I listed a few definitions which describes what reason should be, but I am not sure that it always the case. I think reason is in itself very difficult to discern, as it is completely individual. For some, reason is guided by fear, greed, hatred, or some other variable. Which completely changes the context of the word. For instance, when someone does wrong we often ask individuals, why did you do it, what was your "reason." Reason has come to be defined by much more, or anything but;logic. Similarly, I would say rationality, is defined by ones ability to apply logic in respect to his or her behavior and or actions. When this is not done, the door is opened for irrationality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice, Tia, that when you talk about what guides reason that you string together a list of emotions. But don't we usually think of reason and emotion as two separate facets of our being? When we plead with someone to be reasonable, aren't we asking that person to set aside emotion and think logically? What I wonder is whether reason, at least in its ideal form, is supposed to free us from the uncertainties and doubts and unpredictability that comes with emotion.

    Something here for folks to think about. For a long time in our cultural history (and probably still to a degree), reason and emotion were also considered gender-specific: men were creatures of reason, and women were creatures of emotion. Where this perception really caused problems was that that was frequently used to explain why men are in control and why they should be in control. Rationality and reason have tended to be seen as masculine traits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, Reason is defined as: 1a: statement offered in explanation or justification; gave reasons that were quite satisfactory; b : a rational ground or motive; a good reason to act soon; c : a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; especially : something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact; the reasons behind her client's action; d : the thing that makes some fact intelligible : CAUSE ; the reason for earthquakes; the real reason why he wanted me to stay — Graham Greene
    2 a (1) : the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways : INTELLIGENCE (2) : proper exercise of the mind (3) : SANITY b : the sum of the intellectual powers
    3 archaic : treatment that affords satisfaction
    — in reason : RIGHTLY, JUSTIFIABLY
    — within reason : within reasonable limits
    — with reason : with good cause

    As the definition states reason has always been sufficient ground for explanation or logical defense. If something fails to make sense logically, then to me that has been illogical or unreasonable and yes at times even irrational. The thought or statement must be communicated in such a way that it becomes rational or logical for all to comprehend. All too often things that should make sense don’t, simply due to the fact that not everything is clearly communicated.

    There are many things in today’s society that remain irrational and not comprehendible due to our current economic state. For instance, over 15 years ago, when we went to purchase our first home in Camp Hill, PA we were offered several hundred thousand more than we wanted to afford. We failed to qualify for any first time home buyer loans or incentives simply because our income exceeded the first time home buyer guidelines. Now how can we fail to meet income guidelines (too much) if we have EARNING potential? I still grapple with the illogic of the entire ordeal and process. How can you lend money to someone who does not have the wherewithal to repay the amount borrowed? We were DINKS (Dual income no kids) at the time and our loan was approved for the standard 30 year fixed rate (didn’t want a JUMBO or Variable however, given our current economic state; it becomes clear that it took several years of bad loans to wreck havoc on our society.

    I am old fashioned in my beliefs that we were given many talents to go out and EARN our way in this lifetime and not sit on our rusty dusty and expect the check to arrive each month. Well, I can write an entire thesis on Entitlement and Entitlement mentality; however that was not the questions at hand. I have never understood the rationale of allowing the government to take care of our daily needs, nor do I understand the logic in having the potential to do anything we desire and it is wasted by a lack of work ethic that has been completely eroded over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, when you talk about earning one's way in the last paragraph, you're talking about a concept that becomes significant in the development of the concept of the individual. "Earning one's way" implies that first, there is a way, a path, and second, that one can progress through that path. While work was certainly important to the Puritans, the notion that work could be connected to self-fulfillment and personal progress would have been questionable.

    Another crucial principle of the Age of Reason was the inevitability of progress. Since humans were fundamentally good (as opposed to the Puritan notion that we were fundamentally depraved), the betterment of the human condition was a given, and more importantly, a right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Professor Bodziock--
    I think the practice of individualism is one which is really demoralizing to our society . It not only destroys our sense of obligation to one another, but it actually seeks to give justification for it. However, I think you make a great point when you say "Earning one's way" implies that first, there is a way, a path, and second, that one can progress through that path." What I find most appalling in regards to the notion of individualism, is that it does not take those things into consideration, or ignores them altogether; which I think is very unreasonable! Say what you will of the Puritan's, although they worked hard, they had a sense of community. In other words, they believed in helping one another. I think today, our society is heavily grounded in greed and selfishness. As we have seen over the course of the last few years with our current economic system;its finally beginning to catch up with us. Someone mentioned "entitlement" in their post. It reminded me of a question that was asked of a young man in an ethics class I had once taken. The Professor asked him what is one of the things which really upsets him about welfare. My fellow classmate told him it bothers him that all these women(mostly minorities) have babies and abuse the system. There were so many stereotypes he asserted against, race, gender, class, I was almost overwhelmed. Thankfully, I quickly gathered my composure and was able to speak out in hopes of dispelling some of the myths. Particularly the one involving race. Being a black woman and to have someone say that is all we aspire to do is to have children out of wedlock for the system is preposterous, especially since I do not have children. Though my mere existence helped diminish his argument,the professor went on to ask the young man if his grandparents were retired, and if they received any social security. My classmate responded with a yes.The professor simply said, "then they are receiving an entitlement or welfare." Personally, I do not see anything wrong with that, in fact I support helping our seniors. The Professor's point is simple. Most of us will need or expect assistance at some point in our lives. Unfortunately, people tend to pick and choose which groups they would like to single out, though those instances are usually exxagerated! But so long as its beneficial to "ME"; its ok. That is individualism hard at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Teri's definitions of reason and rational.
    Reason (in the sense of a noun) is logic. It makes sense. It isn't interpreted. Its clear cut answers. It can be proven. If you ask "Why...?" reason would answer: "Because..."

    If something rational it is based on reason. It has reason to back it up. It's logical. It's sensible.

    Irrational, is obviously, the opposite. Something irrational contains no reason. It isn’t based on logical, or sense, it’s unreasonable and usually, absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reason to me is an explanation. For instance, when my mom says “give me one good reason why you can’t do your homework,” I frantically try to come up with a convincing explanation. Reason is what we use to understand the things around us – a way to answer the ever constant question: why?

    I agree with the above posts, quoting definitions from dictionaries, in addition to ideas of logic and sensibility. A rational being is one who “exercises reason,” as stated on dictionary.com! I find it interesting that I need to look up words that have been in my vocabulary for years. When asked to define something, sometimes I am mystified by my hesitance and insecurity with the word. What does it really mean to me? What does it really mean to someone else? I have been tossing the words “reason” and “rationality” around with no second thought, without actually understood their true meanings. How fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This topic is a tough one because I believe that to each person reason means something different. Although each of us have the same basic idea of the word. In each of your posts someone adds a little more, a different meaning, or something debatable to the word. But with individuality at one of it's peaks in today's society one cannot help themselves. With the gaining of individuality we all are free to think what we want(for the most part). I think that reason can be affiliated with a number of our personal characteristics, yet it also a scientists word. It can be used to establish ones position on different situations. But reason does not always mean truth or law like some might speculate it does.
    And I do agree with Professor Brodziock that reason was looked upon as a masculine trait, but that is only because of its popularity and growth. It was seldom that women were associated with any powerful traits, let alone one that at the time was changing the way a civilization lived.
    This topic could go back and forth forever because we can think freely, we do not have someone(or a church)telling us exactly what we have to think of the topic "reason."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reason to me is an explanation to something. Everyone is always looking for a reason. For example why is the sky blue or why do we have noses. Little children especially are always curious to know more about something. Reason can also be a tense of curiosity. Reason is usually backed with a scientific explanation of why something is true or not.
    Irrational does not have reason. Irrational is something that may not be clear or precise.
    Rational is something that is reasonable and easily achieved or understandable. Reasons are usually rational.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that reason can have an indefinite amount of definitions and my definition of it would most likely differ from that of someone else. I believe that reason can ultimately be defined as a reaction to a cause. In that, I'm trying to explain it in terms of...if something were to take place or happen suddenly, there has to be a reason that particular occurrence took place. It may sound confusing, but it's hard for me to explain it in a simple way. It's just simply always been the way I viewed reason.

    I feel that in order to understand reason, we just need to have real world experience and know why things happen, such as the laws of physics. Hence, reason equals cause and so forth.

    Whenever I think of the word "rational", I always think of being cautious and on the safe side. I'm not sure if that sounds right, but that's also the way I've viewed the term rational. Naturally, irrational to me is being less cautious and potentially on the dangerous side.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.